Slow Fashion Feels Fine
Why is Slow Fashion important to Smith Bowen?
Luxury fashion otherwise known as Slow fashion is a green movement with the ideology that humans can have a positive influence on how we choose to affect the world around us.
Slow Fashion is an approach to producing clothing which takes into consideration all aspects of the supply chain and in doing so, aims to respect people, and the environment. It means spending more time on the design process, ensuring that each piece of apparel is quality-made using high-quality materials and eco-friendly production. Products are made of natural fibres, such as cotton, linen, and silk for example. They are biodegradable and do not pollute the water.
Smith Bowen does slow fashion (Luxury Fashion)
1. Designer Renee develops her drawings in her home studio where members of her artistic family are consulted (keeping the footprint low).
2. Once drawings are rendered Renee meets with the pattern maker, a local small business that is women-owned, and in collaboration patterns are created.
3. Fabric is sourced, looking for certified organically grown cotton(GOTS), linen and silks.
4. Each piece is hand-made by local sewers who run home-based businesses in Vancouver.
5. Once the product is made, the item is packed in recyclable and compostable packaging and mailed through the local Canada Post Office.
6. Once your piece is finished its' life you can compost it.
Our mission at Smith Bowen is simple. We encourage customers to be thoughtful and intentional about their clothing, choosing pieces that are healthy for both you and your environment.